Tuesday, July 7, 2009

My brain is full of the information that was presented at the institute. Every piece has some value in my current classes. I currently teach a fire unit within my Succession Unit and again in land management, specifically when we talk about forests. I have been looking for ways to enhance student understanding of fire’s natural role. I finally came away with the motherlode. There is so much material available, and I appreciate being exposed to a vast majority of the best out there. Educators go crazy with the amount of resources on the internet and it becomes overwhelming to sort through and choose what would be best for your classes. The FEI Week allowed me to narrow the search and walk away with activities and knowledge ready to use. The best part is that the labs and activities are “tried and true”, proven to work by educators in the field of environmental science.

Having access to the Fireworks and Firebox materials is invaluable. I can confidently enhance and improve the way that I teach “Fire”. The students win in this situation, because the interactive nature and interest level is so high. I am already putting together my new syllabus to reflect the new resources. My plan is to incorporate fire topics throughout my Environmental science course. For example in , nutrient cycling, succession, energy unit, Public lands, and ecosystems and biodiversity. I am discovering that it fits in throughout my current curriculum. As I expected, it will be relatively easy to insert into my syllabus.

Each speaker provided me with more knowledge and understanding and more importantly gave me real world and local examples to use in my classroom. The content could not be any more relevant. Of particular interest was the tree ring dating/dendrochronology presented by Ros Wu. This was my fourth go- round with tree ring data. Finally, a light switch was turned on and I “get” how I can use it more effectively with high school students. I have already been on the websites suggested by Ros and I have a lesson ready for my students. The recurring theme of mitigation and fire behavior was very interesting and will be discussed in my classes. I already do the activity “400 acre woods” with my students. I plan to add on a fire mitigation section in which they will have to plan for the use/role of fire on the land that they must manage. The possibilities are endless. I am glad I attended and had the opportunity to increase my knowledge so that my students will benefit, ultimately affecting public knowledge and awareness.

No comments:

Post a Comment